CONTEMPORARY JAZZ, JAZZ-ROCK, UK JAZZ

Saturday 7 July 2007

Saw Avishai Cohen last year at Ronnie's. I had heard NuNu from his Continuo album on Radio Fip. (At that time it was broadcast in central Brighton. It is the best radio station I have ever heard. However, after about 8 years of broadcasting some idiot reported it to the registration authorities. About 50% jazz. Mixes all music types so you might have some French accordion music followed by jazz followed by reggae followed by classical followed by salsa, etc. I plan to buy one of those systems that broadcasts internet radio around the house so that I can continue to get it as life is not the same without it.) That was the first time I had heard of him. Loved the groove and time signature as well as the strong melody so bought the album. Loved the album so went on ebay and bought all of his other albums. Every one is a gem. Have been listening hard to Colors (sic) recently and the band I am playing with at the moment have had a go at Smash which is from Continuo. When seeing him live bought his song book. Cohen played with Chic Corea for a while as his bass player.

No comments: