CONTEMPORARY JAZZ, JAZZ-ROCK, UK JAZZ

Friday 23 July 2010

Swanage Jazz Festival

I caught the Dave Stapleton Quintet at the Swanage Jazz Festival on the weekend. Fantastic. Blew me away. Some really new composition and firework performances. Check them out on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBB_KqDsAt8 A new band "Aquarium" also took the festival by storm. Four of us went on a last minute whim. Will organise a bigger group next year.

Back Door Too played. A trio of Bass, Sax and Drums. The original band (Back Door) started in the late 60's and was one of the first jazz rock outfits. Unusual because of the line up and Colin Hodgkinson often played lead on his bass guitar. I met Colin in the Bar after their gig and bought a CD. I had the original Back Door albums on vinyl which Colin told me were probably worth a few bob now. Shame I gave all my viynl away last year. Still regret it but never played them even though I have a Rega turntable. Ron Asprey was the original sax player. He lived in Saltdean near Brighton and I saw play live at Brighton Jazz Club once, died a few years ago as did Tony Hicks the drummer - leaving one. John Peal used to play them regularly. Good to see that Colin is making the proect happen again as this was a seminal late 60's jazz rock outfit. There is a good interview with Colin on Cultural Foundation website.

Also Saw John Law trio. Have his four albums. Very Jarrett influenced from his 80s period, which is good. Is playing as part of the Jon Lloyd Quintet at Brighton Jazz Club tonight. Should be a treat.

No comments: